Wednesday, March 01, 2006

feeling the wanderlust spirit...

... i was thinking today and wondering if our baby will love to travel like i do. i have always loved to travel. from visiting family in asia to relaxing on the beaches in maui, give me a suitcase and watch me go!!!

... i was also thinking back to the times i have traveled alone - i actually lived in belgium and worked in an awesome flemish city called Ghent (or Gant depending where you are from) for about 10 weeks. it was an opportunity i couldn't pass up in college- a co-op job that i pushed for and got and the non-worry of youth to get me through. i didn't know a soul except for the guy i was going to work for and i didn't speak a lick of flemish or french (the 2 official languages of belgium) but i learned a lot about myself and who i wanted to be. i was telling david about the experience and how i really enjoyed it as a person - i could go a whole weekend without speaking to a soul if i wanted to and i loved it. i loved traveling by train, going to museums and eating foreign foods... that brought me also to my second experience of backpacking through europe - 7 countries in 21 days and lots and lots of hostels... could i do the hostel life again? probably but i am now officially too old (lots of hostels have cut-off ages of who can stay) but i miss following the train schedules and the 50 lb backpack on my back and fighting other hostel ppl for a pan to cook breakfast on...

i have some funny scrapbooks from way back then (1997) and i need to dig them out! lots of "photo croppin" and funny captions. i don't think i will redo them b/c they capture that moment in my life - to redo them is to sort of redo what i thought and jades them with my experiences from NOW...

so i am off to see if i can find my scrapbooks from my europe experience. i am sure my baby will one day say "mom, you weren't ever THAT young or brave were you???" LOL.

2 Comments:

At 3/02/2006 09:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What great experiences you had! Baby, mommy was (and still is) fearless!

 
At 3/03/2006 01:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet your baby will have no choice but to love traveling!!! I am so jealous of your awesome travels... my life has been uber boring in the travel department

 

Post a Comment

<< Home