Monday, September 19, 2005

must {sorta} love dogs...




so my inlaws were here last week visiting us and they brought with them the 2 most spoiled dogs i have ever seen. they are the kind of ppl who won't leave their dogs behind. i think i mentioned to them that they could consider kenneling their dogs when they come to see us or travel and they shot eye daggers at me like i was telling them to send their pooches to the dog pound or something...

but in the interest of family harmony, i gave the nod to my DH and them that they could bring sparkle and tessa (the two dogs) but at first i said they had to stay in the utility room (some background info, these two pups came for a visit like 5 years ago and one of them pooped on my carpet like 6 times in 1 weekend). i conceded again and said ok, the dogs could come but they had to stay in the tile aread of our house (which is about 40% of the house) but it was sort of sad/funny/ironic to see my FIL standing in the kitchen with the pups on leashes talking to us while the rest of us were in the carpeted living room. so i finally gave in again that they could be in the living room only (hence these pics of them lounging around on the carpet).

there are a lot of dog stories i can tell you from this past week but i think that what i had to learn here was how to adapt in a dog family. my family was never a dog family. i had one pet ever- a duck named jack when i was growing up (yes a duck , a white duck). and honestly i have disliked dogs ever since one attacked me when i was 6 on a farm in NJ and threw me on the ground. i think i feared dogs (big or small). i don't think it was until after college that i became ok with them.

but i know how important it is for my DH to see his parents so i compromised a lot. and the two pups were pretty well behaved (except when one of them thought i wasn't looking and she jumped on my couch and i yelled and she jumped back down). what has become of me - miss hard nosed - don't back down for anything? sigh. i must be getting old and soft in my old age.

i might invite them back for a visit and tell them not to bring my inlaws (just kidding!)

5 Comments:

At 9/19/2005 11:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!!! I'm the EXACT same way and thankfully my DH is too. I grew up on a farm and pets were NEVER allowed inside the house. I like dogs, though, just not inside my house. LOL!

 
At 9/20/2005 09:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kind of inconsiderate but what are you going to do?

Hope that they didn't leave you any surprises!

 
At 9/20/2005 01:55:00 PM, Blogger al said...

Funny story, that is. Although i hav petz, i know wut u mean. There are Dog-People and there are No-Dogs-Allowed-People. I am a Dog-Lover-But-Not-on-the-Couch person.

 
At 9/21/2005 10:29:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, the little buggers kinda grown on ya. Our dog has weaseled his way into sleeping in our bed. He usually steals MY pillow, which is really annoying but kinda cute anyway. :)

 
At 9/22/2005 07:57:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For some reason, I have always loved MY dog, but never been real crazy about other people's dogs....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home