Wednesday, September 14, 2005

my hometown...



it was a year ago almost to the day that i got a chance to go back to my home town - new york city. i left there a long time ago - elementary school when my dad decided it was too cold and we moved south. what a change that was going from a city of diversity to another one where people asked me almost daily if i was related to the other 3 asian kids that were in the same school (yes on my sister but um no to the other kids who were asian but not chinese).

i miss new york in my mind. we used to go back for 10 days every christmas when we would drive from the carolinas to new york. i used to get so excited to see the statue of liberty esp when NJ felt like the biggest state with the longest turnpike EVER when all i wanted to do was be in NY. i miss going to rockerfeller center when i was little to watch the ice skaters. i miss convincing my parents to buy me a pretzel from a street vendor. i miss chinatown with all of its sights (and smells). i miss seeing the empire state building and the field trips to the MET. i miss the subway and the times my mom would walk us about 10 blocks to go to the public library and the occasional times she would let us get a big slice of NY style pizza.

it has been about 10 years thoughbefore i went back last year. sometimes i wish we could live that big city life. we went back to the house my parents had when i was born and we took pictures out front. i miss that energy, the life of the city.

in the pic here, i am with my cousin, al. he and i lost touch over the years much like the city and i but our love was never lost. i love NYC. no more words needed to express how i feel.

5 Comments:

At 9/15/2005 09:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mean you're NOT related to them? LOL! I used to get that all the time.

Wow, you learn something new all the time. Don't think that I ever knew that you were from NY!

Ahhh, the smells of Chinatown......

 
At 9/15/2005 09:56:00 AM, Blogger Jessica S. said...

I love NYC too!! It has such an awesome energy! Don't think I could live there but I love to visit!!

 
At 9/15/2005 02:16:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would love to go there (sigh)

Mary M

 
At 9/15/2005 09:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to go there! It does seem so alive! I'm glad you got to go back!

 
At 9/23/2005 10:48:00 AM, Blogger al said...

Hey. That's me. (right) Hello cousin from NYC!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home