Monday, August 22, 2005

so this is how it was in the olden days


our A/C went putz on saturday. my DH and i decided to brave it out until today. that wasn't very smart in the summer in texas. our house was a balmy 95. 6 F on sunday. some rooms were a cool breezy 93.4 F and i think i took 5 showers yesterday. my face is also breaking out today. this picture was from the break we took around dinner time - we ate out - see the smile on my face from the joy of A/C??? how do ppl in the north live without A/C when it gets hot??? i have so gotten soft since moving to the south...

luckily, everything is back to normal now. the A/C is humming and i am cool as a cuke...so i guess that means i have to get back to work huh?

i am awaiting my amazon.com order with my two CDs - michael buble " it's time" { side note<-- this was the dude i saw in a starbucks commercial and i didn't know if he was really a singer so i looked him up - and yup he is a smooth jazzy crooner} and sarah valenzuela's "lado este( this side)" { side note - i heard of her on NPR and was mesmerized by her voice - like a latin sarah mclaclan} CDs - hopefully soon. i am sure that my order right now is some where in amazon's big warehouse (or warehouses) and they are pulling my order to shoot me into the supply chain pool...

speaking of supply chain/ product design, here is a glimpse of how a Maya Road product goes from concept to actual items you can hold. the concept is simple:

1. come up with an idea
2. make a prototype
3. make refinements
4. do a trial production
5. make a whole bunch of it

BUT... the beast is in the details. in my former life in the corporate world, we worked on something called a stage gate process for developing new ideas to actual product. it is similar - a series of checkpoints before you get to the final product. what we do for MR is no different. but on a smaller scale. if you take the 5 steps above, it really breaks down even further into a complex web of other steps like this:

1. deb and caroline come up with a set of ideas
2. discuss, rediscuss- pros/cons/growth potential/feasibility
3. discuss the idea with our factory - can we do this? is it cost prohibitive?
4. repeat step 2 with answer from step 3 - decide colors/ design line
5. repeat discussion with factory- decide on prototype made
6. repeat step 5 until satisfied with product (this can be hard at times b/c you are trying to convey to someone your idea for a product and they have to understand enough to translate what you want into a product you want)
7. decide on packaging (how? /number?/style?/name (this one always gets us!)?/ product label design)
8. arrange logistics (this is a whole other discussion) - be it from asia or US, this is a whole long process
9. repeat for each product and repeat 2-3x a year for any new releases

alright with that, need to get back to work!

10 Comments:

At 8/23/2005 06:21:00 PM, Blogger Jana said...

Sorry to hear you were w/out AC for a while....I'm in TX too and I can't even imagine!! Your blog is great by the way!! ~ScrappinJana

 
At 8/23/2005 06:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was so excited to find your blog today on 2peas. Can't wait to keep checking in on it. So glad your AC is back up and running. I am seriously no fun to be around when my AC is out. LOL!

 
At 8/23/2005 07:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad your AC is back to working, YUCK! I was just checking out Maya Roads cool new products in one of the mags today and now here is your blog! I will be bookmarking it so that I can keep up with it.

 
At 8/23/2005 07:28:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad your AC is on again! I know how miserable life is without it. Unfortunately, I live in Alaska - where they figure you don't need it. During the summer with looooong hours of sunlight and weeks with 85 degrees, I beg to differ! ;)

 
At 8/23/2005 11:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

there you are! i tried to find your blog to link it on mine and couldn't do it. now i will know where to stalk...i mean find you!

:)

 
At 8/24/2005 02:43:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yikes - don't even want to begin to think what it would be like without AC - I live in the hot hot desert and I should surely die!

I love michael buble he is just - well his voice just captivates me - he has this version of "Kissing a Fool" that is just so and I totally dig on his version of the Spidey song - i think I saw Sarah Valenzuela's name on the Chipotle wrapper - they have all kinds of musical artists in swirlies on their packaging - i have discovered so many different types of music that way

i am a lurker her mostly - I am mesmerized by all the hard work and inventiveness it takes to put the product out there!

 
At 8/24/2005 03:45:00 AM, Blogger Liz said...

congrats on getting your ac working again, what a cool relief!!

 
At 8/24/2005 06:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are a brave woman to go without the a/c. I would have been at a hotel in a heart beat! we actually did that about 2 years ago, lol! I think if it would have just been dh and I we could have lasted but with the kids... no way!

 
At 8/25/2005 05:25:00 AM, Blogger nic said...

Hey, we dont do AC in NEw Zealand, and we get pretty hot here too.... {she dont tell} i hate AC... its what ya used to that ya like or dislike, I guess....

nic

 
At 8/25/2005 11:46:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate AC!!!! It makes me so cold but then again the temperatures and humidity never get nearly as hot as they do down there! I'm glad it's working for you again though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home