Tuesday, November 15, 2005

back to my roots...


deb and i are headed to asia for MR business in a bit and it is always nice to be able to mix business with family visits! though i was born and raised here, BUT i never get tired of going to hong kong and china. i am very thankful that my parents encouraged us to speak chinese growing up. i don't get enough of a chance to speak it today and once in a while, i find a word will elude me. it is funny b/c when we go back, ppl know that we are "american" - is it the way we dress? our chinglish?

one year, deb and i were in a store in china and these women started talking about the outfit that deb was wearing (in a negative way like "that is a style my grandma used to wear") i guess they thought we didn't speak chinese b/c we were conversing in english so we started talking in english about what they were saying about her outfit in chinese. but before we left, deb was sure to say really loudly "we are leaving now" in chinese. you should have seen the look on their faces!

but the reality is that this has helped us jump start maya road. in a big way. it really helps to speak the language. it helps to be able to say "pink" in either language so it doesn't get lost in the translation. and it is super way cool when we see a concept we have put to paper made into something real and fabulous.

5 Comments:

At 11/15/2005 07:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is really cool! I hope you have a fantastic trip!

 
At 11/16/2005 10:53:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, cause you/we look American. Although the clothing does give it away, too. And the height! ;)

Eeek, I had to think about "pink" and luckily I could remember the word for it.

Have a great time! Grandmom is going to be estatic!!!

 
At 11/17/2005 04:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can totally relate to the language issue, although I was indeed born and raised in the Philippines. But it's so true about not having ample opportunities to use my Tagalog in the place I live in (mostly Spanish or English spoken here). My biggest regret, though, is NEVER having considered teaching my two kids (they're 9 and 11 now), how to speak Tagalog. Now, if and when we do decide to visit my family back home, they sadly won't be able to converse with their cousins (whom they've never met before). However, as to everything else in the Philippines---Everyone would enjoy speaking to them in English, and proudly at that!

So, word to the wise---teach your future baby/babies Chinese. It would be worth the effort.

BTW, I love your stuff, obviously--LOL!

-Alrenwald

 
At 11/17/2005 04:36:00 PM, Blogger Wanda E. Santiago said...

Hey beautiful have a safe and wonderful trip, be safe and again congratulations on the new joy!! Hugs Wanda

 
At 12/02/2005 04:16:00 PM, Blogger al said...

THAT is a funny story. i feel ur pain. im glad u speak. somebody has to continue the fam tradition. as for me. im a ded end.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home