Friday, July 29, 2005

where you came from



this is my grandma. my sis and i don't get to see her very often b/c she literally lives half way around the world. i think she looks AWESOME for being close to 90 years of age (i can only hope to look like this when i am 70). she is a wonderful woman.

she only speaks chinese which at times has made for interesting conversations between her and my DH (his chinese knowledge is about 20 words which include "i will have pepsi"). but she was one of the first ones to accept my DH even though he isn't chinese. which isn't really a big deal anymore but from a culture where traditions, etc. are valued, i didn't know how it would go over.

i can remember as a child, my sister, mom and i would go over to see my grandma for 5-6 weeks at a time. it was my dream vacation then! where could i find all the cutest hello kitty stuff and eat all the chinese food i wanted? 5-6 week trips are out of the question now but we go back to visit when we can.

we were looking at some old photographs my grandma had the last time we were there. some of the photos were beginning to mold from the hot humid weather but she agreed to let us take them back to the US so we could begin the process of scanning them. i could see her eyes dance when she looked at the pictures of her 7 children and from when my grandfather was alive. so many memories...

for deb and i, she is a big part of our inspiration. so here's to grandma!

3 Comments:

At 7/29/2005 12:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, your post brought tears to my eyes Caroline! She sounds like an amazing woman.

 
At 7/29/2005 09:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree - an amazing woman. One of my grandmas is 92 and the other is almost 83. I love them both dearly and they mean so much to me. I can't imagine them being half-way around the world. So cool that you get to visit her and connect - and those pictures you brought back are priceless.

 
At 7/30/2005 12:43:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your post too. Your grandmother is beautiful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home